Firehouse Subs Public Safety Foundation
Yes, these are the Firehouse Sub franchises that you are familiar with. If you have ever purchased food there, you were asked to round off the purchase amount to the next whole dollar. Where do those pennies go? They go to the Firehouse Subs Public Safety Foundation. It is dedicated to improving the life-saving capabilities of first responders and public safety organizations in communities served by Firehouse Subs by providing funding, resources, and support.
The Foundation allocates funding in five distinct areas:
- Life-Saving Equipment
- Prevention Education
- Scholarships and Continued Education
- Support for Members of the Military
- Disaster Preparedness and Disaster Relief
Some of the safety equipment provided through the Foundation includes the following:
- Thermal Imaging Cameras – These allow firefighters to see areas of heat through smoke and darkness and locate victims as well as locating “hot spots” and structural damage.
- Extrication Tools – These tools help first responders to remove vehicle accident victims (who may be trapped in wreckage) quickly and safely.
- Automated External Defibrillator (AED) – These portable electronic devices enable police and fire departments to respond to medical emergencies such as cardiac arrest on the scene increasing the victims’ chance of survival.
- Stabilization Tools – These tools help first responders to stabilize overturned or dangerously positioned vehicles to safely remove victims of a wreck or disaster.
- Bunker/Turnout Gear – This outer protective clothing to help insulate firefighters from the extreme heat of a fire.
- Radios – Radios provide critical communication between first responders on the scene of an emergency.
- Inflatable Rescue Boats – These boats are an essential tool for search and rescue, flood evacuation, and dive rescue.
- Emergency Medical Equipment – This equipment provides on-scene emergency services that are critical for positive outcomes in life-saving situations.
You can read more about this foundation here.
Dollar General Literacy FoundationDollar General promotes literacy in communities where there are Dollar General stores.
Dollar General has a commitment to improving literacy because it is the one gift that cannot be taken away. The ability to read and write and understand written and visual symbols is not only necessary to survive in today’s society but can also result in personal empowerment and improved economic status as well as having social and cultural benefits.
For more than 20 years, the Dollar General Literacy Foundation has helped individuals learn to read, prepare for the GED, and learn English. The Foundation has awarded more than $97 million dollars to schools and nonprofit organizations—helping over 5.8 million people gain literacy and basic education skills.
Click here to learn more about the Dollar General Literacy Foundation.
On the website, organizations that received grant funds in 2014 are listed.
Grant applications become available January 2015.
This grant information is offered by SEGAL Revenue & Expense Specialists, Inc., as a service to our many clients who are constantly searching for additional funding. We do not prepare these applications, but offer the information as a thank you to our clients.